Home arrow Forums

Go Back   XS11.com Forums > Idle Talk Forum > XS11/XJ11 Discussion

Old 07-14-2013, 05:46 PM
Truly XSive

Clicking sound on left side of engine

I am trying to diagnose a clicking sound on the left side of my '79 SF.
Yesterday Bonz and I met up to clean and rebuild my carbs and do a quick oil change. We had a slight problem with the oil change when I was bolting the oil filter cover back on and one of the ears on it broke. I will be picking up a replacement off of ebay this week.
We moved on to the carbs and went through, pulled everything apart, cleaned it all up and then put them back on the bike. No problems at all.
We started the bike up and it sounded great though the idle was a bit low. I rode home and about a block or two away from Bonz' house I started to hear a loud click on the left side of the engine (towards the top of it). This was the loudest when I was at low RPMs and the clicking increased as I accelerated. I couldn't hear it when I was at full throttle but I assume that is because the engine sound is drowning out the clicking.
I went home, adjusted the idle on Bonz recommendation but I am still getting the noise. I also noticed right after that my oil light came on as well. I checked the oil and the level is fine.

Help!

I really want to have the bike running top notch by this coming Friday for a camping ride with my wife for my birthday.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Master of XSology

My guess would be a loose header bolt(s), it will sound like loud valve tapping. Careful not to snap the studs, don't overtighten them.

79F - owned since '89 - FJ fork mod, solo seat mod, Dyna 3Ω's, 14MM M/C (160K miles)
79SF - every day rider, solo seat mod, Brembo 16MM M/C, Accel 3Ω's, Supertrapp (122K miles)

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

30 year XS11 owner

Old 07-14-2013, 06:01 PM
Master of XSology

The oil light indicates pressure, not quantity. Pull the valve cover. Look for a loose/broken cap on the cam. You're loosing oil at one of the journals perhaps. It could be a main bearing. Oil light illuminated is a bad thing.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:03 PM
XS-XJ Super Guru

First, I'm wondering when u tackled your carbs, u yanked on the oil pressure sensor below tge bank. As far as the clicking noise, I think valve train, or cam chaain noise. I'm not familiar enough with any tranny noise that would only click. Possibly CCT noise?
2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:05 PM
XS-XJ Super Guru

Ooh, header bolt sounds good too (if u had to pull pipes to change oil).
2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:17 PM
Truly XSive

Would it be helpful if I posted a video of the noise?
Old 07-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Truly XSive

In regards to the oil light, I may have bumped a sensor now that I think about it. The light didn't come on until after I came home and rode with the clicking noise. It came on after I pulled the seat and lifted the tank to adjust the idle (there probably is an easier way to adjust it but I dont know how, haha).
Old 07-14-2013, 06:26 PM
Truly XSive

Here is a video so you can hear the exact sound.
http://youtu.be/37NbqNE-wGQ
Old 07-14-2013, 06:35 PM
XS-XJ Super Guru

I think Phil hit that on da money. Check ur header bolts on that side.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:36 PM
Master of XSology

When putting everything back together did you accidentally connect the vacuum advance to a carb intake boot rather than the carb body? That will cause the vac advance plate to slam back and forth.

As to the oil light, did a tail light burn out? 79' specials will light the oil light if your tail light burns out.

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
K&N Filter
#45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
OEM Exhaust
ATK Fork Brace
LED Dash lights
Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
SS Brake Lines
Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 07-14-2013, 06:56 PM
Truly XSive

The vacuum advance is connected to the appropriate spot.
As for the oil light, I looked at the tail light and it is not burned out, however, I did notice I dont have running lights right now! That may be the answer to that problem but I also dont know why the tail light would work but not also as the running light....
Old 07-14-2013, 07:03 PM
XS-XJ Super Guru

And Nate comes in with the possible save . . .
Old 07-14-2013, 08:03 PM
XS-XJ Super Guru

[quote=natemoen;415376]When putting everything back together did you accidentally connect the vacuum advance to a carb intake boot rather than the carb body? That will cause the vac advance plate to slam back and forth.
QUOTE]

+1

Down to two 1978 E's. Both stock air boxes with K&N filters, one with 81H pipes and carbs,
One with Jardine 4-1 pipes. 8500 feet elevation.
03 Honda ST1300 ABS
Old 07-14-2013, 09:23 PM
XS-XJ Guru

Sebastian, check that the long vacuum hose ( the one I sucked on to show you the click noise the advance unit made when working correctly) coming from the left lower cover( the cover I had off on my 80G when you got to my house) is hooked to the nipple on the front of the #2 carb body and not to the nipple on the black intake boot. I was working on that side of the bike when we put the carbs back on and seem to recall I hooked the octy diaphrapgm vacuum line to the carb body. I had to cut a new piece of vacuum hose for the octy diaphragm so that is why it sticks in my mind. My bad if that is the case! We were working quickly to finish up and I may have done you wrong!

For the oil light, the sending unit wire was in place and looked good, I did check that for sure as we slid the carbs in. Especially since it was after your ride home, check the taillight bulb.

That click is like nothing I've heard, so I have to think its the vacuum advance being hooked up wrong.

Double check, ok?

01 ZRX 1200, only bike in the garage.

2019 Rally Link:
http://appleattic.net/XS2019/xs2019.htm

Last edited by Bonz; 07-14-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:19 AM
Truly XSive

Howard! You rule. I just took a look at the bike and those two hoses were on the wrong spots. Im going to switch them tomorrow after work (its too damn wet outside to do so now) and I'll let you know the results! Thanks a ton.

Tags
clicking, engine noise, oil, weird sound