Home arrow Forums

Go Back   XS11.com Forums > Idle Talk Forum > Members Lounge

Old 10-01-2014, 07:01 AM
Master of XSology

WTF did you do to your bike?

Ok I know this isnt an easy topic...and will prolly touch a few nerves.....But with all the "new" members that come here wanting to chop and hack away an XS11 to make it a hardtail bobber or cafe racer...Why the F*** should we help you? In my mind we should not...You all do have the right to make your bike into whatever you desire...BUT please dont bring it here...
This site is supposed to be dedicated to preserving and maintaining and in many cases resurrecting old bikes that need alot of TLC to get back to roadworthiness. The XS11 was only made 5 years and thus are limited numbers compared to many other bikes of the era...
Ofc the folks here are prolly more polite than I am but I know down down deep most of the regulars on here are disgusted with this mindset....
If it were up to me I would change the way things operate around here and not allow or offer help to anyone who is planning to bastardize an XS1100...You all are lucky I dont run the show ...But lets be clear...I do not condone the bastardization of our XS1100s'... While there is public information here as to how to do all the necessary things to fix or improve upon for the XS11...and you are all welcome to share said info...I see no reason whatsoever to welcome someone who doesn't respect what these bikes are or just what they mean to the rest of us....y'all can go pound sand...
Old 10-01-2014, 07:20 AM
Master of XSology

What if I bought this:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/mcy/4667636352.html

And decided to make a go of it. Would we no longer be friends?
Old 10-01-2014, 07:37 AM
XS-XJ Guru

Wow, MAXisreallyMAD

I guess I am in the middle on this one. I agree we should try and keep our machines as close to what they were intended as much as possible because they are disappearing in numbers daily. But on the other hand, one has a right to do what he (or she) wishes with their private property.

Now someone that is taking a basket case XS11 that can never again be what it once was and uses the parts to make it into a running and functioning machine, well I feel that is way better than just letting another XS go by the wayside. But taking a perfectly good, unmolested XS11 and cutting it up....well that is a bit much.

So here is the way I handle it....I just do not offer any comments or help to someone that is transforming their machine into something radical nor do I offer any real encouragement or kudos on their build, no matter how fine it is produced.

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:03 AM
Master of XSology

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmechmarty View Post
What if I bought this:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/mcy/4667636352.html

And decided to make a go of it. Would we no longer be friends?
Funny thing is, that is someone here. I know I have seen pics of it here somewhere!

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
K&N Filter
#45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
OEM Exhaust
ATK Fork Brace
LED Dash lights
Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
SS Brake Lines
Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 10-01-2014, 08:16 AM
Master of XSology

I'm all for enhancements to improve function and performance but when you are talking about bastardizing a perfectly fine XS1100 I see no reason why we should condone such behavior by actually offering help or even commenting on these builds. Like you say Mike...some got their bikes as projects and they have already been bastardized and the PO's project never came to fruition...so yess its a fine line...Yes people have a right to do as they please...I cant control that but again I see no reason why we as an XS1100 community should offer any support to those who really do not appreciate the XS1100 for what it is or care to preserve them as they should be...YMMV

Last edited by madmax-im; 10-01-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:39 AM
Master of XSology

Does that mean TC can continue to help us, but we can't help him?
Old 10-01-2014, 08:53 AM
Master of XSology

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmechmarty View Post
Does that mean TC can continue to help us, but we can't help him?
Ha ha ...you just like to be the devil's advocate ...eh? No TC has enhanced his ride with mods that suit his needs and wants all the while still respecting what the XS11 is...
Old 10-01-2014, 08:59 AM
XS-XJ Guru

Ease up Ben....bikes are highly personal like someones appearance. That is why no two are identical at this point. What if I was offended by those who added stickers onto their hard bags?

There are many folks who like a lot of piercings. Not my cup of tea, but I don't tell them how to live their life, I just don't join in.

Bike customization is the same way.

Every XS1100 that remains on the road one day longer because someone bobs it or paints it rainbow colors just adds to our collective longevity mystique.

Just enjoy quiet satisfaction that yours is closer to stock than theirs.

John

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
'81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"
Old 10-01-2014, 09:19 AM
XS Special Gurette

"Motorcyclists welcome here
Regardless of what you ride"

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
80 LG Black Magic
78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
For those on FB
Old 10-01-2014, 10:51 AM
XS-XJ Guru MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildkat View Post
It's amazing how many members forget this phrase posted on the entry page...

This is a debate that comes up to some degree on almost any site dedicated to marques or types of vehicles and is usually entirely subjective with the poster. With that said, I personally would never encourage anyone to hack one of these into a café, hardtail or bobber as, in my opinion, these bikes just don't lend themselves to that styling... but one mans mess is another's thing of beauty.

One problem with these bikes is they don't get the 'respect' that their contemporaries have (and that's yet another debate) due to their generally low prices in used/abused condition; it's pretty easy to hack up a $200-500 bike while one worth a grand or so would give most people pause. Add the fact that as a group, many XS owners are notorious cheapskates (keeping prices down), and the low values make these too attractive to the lo-buck hackers...

Lastly, one reason this site has maintained it's success over the years is it has welcomed all comers, not just the 'restorers'. While it's not easy to modify one of these into a bobber or café (I can't think of any bike I'd convert to a hardtail unless you're a masochist), it can be done as several very nice examples have turned up here.

'78E original owner - resto project
'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
'82 XJ rebuild project
'80SG restified, red SOLD
'79F parts...
'81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
'93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
'86 XL883/1200 Chopper
'82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...
Old 10-04-2014, 01:14 PM
XS-XJ Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildkat View Post
Yep, buy your ticket and ride the ride you want...

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
1981 LH
Old 10-12-2014, 05:13 PM
XSive

After reading this thread start to finish, I strangely feel in the middle of both polarities here. I'll explain. The guys and myself at our shop pride ourselves in restoring the classics as far as our customers want us to. We do replace the outrageous handlebars from the early 70's with more manageable ones, update worn out oem with reasonable new replacements and modify to fit where necessary. Breathing new life into old barn finds brings a level of appreciation not often duplicated...Flip the coin and we have completed a number of unique custom hard tail conversions, chops, and bikes with MAJOR facelifts. Both of these styles reflect immensely on all of us, and on what imagination can create, and what appreciation can help us keep original. Flip the coin again and I am usually the first one in line to grief my friends and coworkers when they drone on and on about some costly modification to car suspension or snowmobile clutches, simply because they think it might be cool....I usually bellow something regarding the manufacturer's R&D team spending millions to ensure the factory design worked flawlessly and exactly as desired for maximum performance and longevity. Strange how one person can breath a trifecta of hippocracy (me ) love restoration, love customizing, love giving my friends a jab for suggesting either
I'm not sure where to put my specific build. I had the bike literally dropped in front of me. I'm trying to make a fun, manageable, personalized cycle out of a badly abused, forgotten, nearly ended up at the scrapyard, faded shadow of her former glory. I hope I can accomplish this with the least amount of permanent irreversible changes, and I hope my local friends and all of my new friends here can help guide me.
PanikSwitch Cycles - Brewer ME
http://s48.photobucket.com/user/Arth...201100%20Build
Old 10-15-2014, 04:06 AM
XS-XJ Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur_of_Hex View Post
After reading this thread start to finish, I strangely feel in the middle of both polarities here. I'll explain. The guys and myself at our shop pride ourselves in restoring the classics as far as our customers want us to. We do replace the outrageous handlebars from the early 70's with more manageable ones, update worn out oem with reasonable new replacements and modify to fit where necessary. Breathing new life into old barn finds brings a level of appreciation not often duplicated...Flip the coin and we have completed a number of unique custom hard tail conversions, chops, and bikes with MAJOR facelifts. Both of these styles reflect immensely on all of us, and on what imagination can create, and what appreciation can help us keep original. Flip the coin again and I am usually the first one in line to grief my friends and coworkers when they drone on and on about some costly modification to car suspension or snowmobile clutches, simply because they think it might be cool....I usually bellow something regarding the manufacturer's R&D team spending millions to ensure the factory design worked flawlessly and exactly as desired for maximum performance and longevity. Strange how one person can breath a trifecta of hippocracy (me ) love restoration, love customizing, love giving my friends a jab for suggesting either
I'm not sure where to put my specific build. I had the bike literally dropped in front of me. I'm trying to make a fun, manageable, personalized cycle out of a badly abused, forgotten, nearly ended up at the scrapyard, faded shadow of her former glory. I hope I can accomplish this with the least amount of permanent irreversible changes, and I hope my local friends and all of my new friends here can help guide me.
I've enjoyed your posts, can't wait to see your finished bike !!!!! I've always tried to stay mechanically stock and only alter the cosmetics if the original cosmetics were fubr. But I like new solutions to old problems, so take it to the limit and show me what they can become, please.
Thank You for being here ! Done
80 XS 1100 SG
81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e
Old 10-15-2014, 11:43 AM
XSive Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur_of_Hex View Post
something regarding the manufacturer's R&D team spending millions to ensure the factory design worked flawlessly and exactly as desired for maximum performance and longevity.
I've had this said to me by folk looking at my modded XS11. As an engineer who's worked in production engineering for a long time I have a few comments to give back to those folk.

Mass production design is not the same as best design, this doesn't mean they are the best the company can come up with, it means they are the best the company can come up with that can be mass produced. Other factors come into mass production like cost of materials, type of materials that can be mass produced with the cheapest tooling and operator. Some parts are out-sourced from suppliers for the best optimum cost vs quality. Other factors affecting design are emissions, current safety legislation, and market forces.

If the R+D got their way our bikes would have been MUCH better but cost ten times as much to produce/buy.

And there are other considerations as far as manufacturers millions$$$$ in R+D..... factory recalls???!! they sure do happen, how if the R+D are so good??. I'm sure we can all think of an absolute lemon some manufacturer has brought out. If the million dollar backed R+D depts are perfect why do they bring out later models? updated models? surely an admission that they can do better. So why not borrow ideas from Yamaha's later offerings when modding your XS1100? surely we should all be doing that if the Yamaha R+D dept is so good.

And everyone here already seems to agree when looking at the gearbox mods written up here, anyone undercut their gear dogs? I have, is that me doing a better job than Yamaha originally did? A member here produced a better than original Rec/Reg, how? you decide

Just my 2p
1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original
Old 10-15-2014, 01:33 PM
XS-XJ Guru MODERATOR

Here Here! Tom hit the nail on the head....

Manufacturers try different things for different reasons, and not all of them are successful. While the XS was/is a fine machine, it's a product of it's time and harbors more than a few compromises, not all of them obvious. Funky wiring in places, spaghetti forks, and brakes that are at best only adequate are just a few. It is a monument to just how much Yamaha got right that in spite of these things these bikes still compare as favorably as they do to more modern machines.

'78E original owner - resto project
'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
'82 XJ rebuild project
'80SG restified, red SOLD
'79F parts...
'81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
'93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
'86 XL883/1200 Chopper
'82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...