Home arrow Forums

Go Back   XS11.com Forums > Idle Talk Forum > XS11/XJ11 Discussion

Old 07-30-2011, 04:36 PM
XSive

Petcock filter

Hi folks. Been awhile since I've visited. I've already searched the threads on this subject but "I still haven't found what I'm looking for." (U2 reference)

While pulling apart by bike to find/fix a chronic fuel overflow, I discovered that one of my vacuum petcocks is missing the in tank filter. That probably explains the brown crud I found inside the the petcock itself.

I've spent the better half of a day scouring the internet for a replacement. The only place that may have one (not the entire petcock) is an ebay chap http://stores.ebay.com/Vintage-Motor...arts-Warehouse. He wants $30 for a buy it now item. Problem is, I don't know if it is the one I need. Here is the part # he lists: 3Y1-24514-00. It looks like the one I need but I don't want to buy an item I can't use. I'm running a 1981 XS11H (standard)

Can anyone verify this part and the vendor?

Many thanks!

1981 XS11H

Scribestone Industries:
~Turning food into poop since 1963 ~
Old 07-30-2011, 07:49 PM
XS-XJ Guru MODERATOR

That's not the one you need... this one: http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/partinfo...J7-24514-02-00

'78E original owner - resto project
'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
'82 XJ rebuild project
'80SG restified, red SOLD
'79F parts...
'81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
'93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
'86 XL883/1200 Chopper
'82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...
Old 07-31-2011, 12:22 AM
XSive

Sweet! Thanks. I knew I could rely on someone here to set my course straight. Hope to have my knees in the breeze soon.

1981 XS11H

Scribestone Industries:
Old 07-31-2011, 12:30 AM
XS-XJ Super Guru(Deceased)

That said, the screen is probably floating around in the tank, the pop off and do that.

And while there may be a problem with crud getting into the needle valves, and you should put inline filters into the fuel lines to keep anything from getting to them, also check that the o-rings on the needle valve seats are not bad, as that is a common problem with the late model carbs if they haven't been replaced in the last 10 years or so.

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
Vetter Windjammer IV
Vetter hard bags & Trunk
OEM Luggage Rack
Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
Spade Fuse Box
Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
750 FD Mod
TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
XJ1100 Front Footpegs
XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:38 AM
XSive

Already checked the tank. No filter. Tank is bone dry as it all leaked into my case....errrrg. Had a gusher of a flow when I opened the oil drain. So I also need to unstick a float. I do have inline filters installed so that was a plus.

I had a mechanic "fix" my petcock problem last year for the same issue. He said he rebuilt them. They seemed to work after that but must have "unfixed" over the winter storage. Most likely some gunk got into the petcock when I took it out this Spring. That's when my trouble started again. Ahh the joy of vintage machinery.

1981 XS11H

Scribestone Industries:
Old 08-15-2011, 01:02 PM
XSive

Well I ordered that part you listed, Steve. It's the correct one for my bike but unfortunately not the one installed ON my bike! Apparently my beloved former mechanic (now out of business and doesn't return calls) swapped out my petcocks last year when he was rebuilding them. They had leaks and he said he rebuilt them from another bike (assuming it was another xs11). So.... I have no freakin' idea what this went to originally and I can't find a pic of it online. Can you help me identify this filter so I can order it? http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=CIMG0061.jpg
You can see that the post that goes into the petcock is off center in the old part but centered on the new part. The new one is also taller and thinner than what I had in there. I think it may be from a 1981 XS400. I just found a diagram for the part from my original post part # and it looks to be a match. Please have a look @ part # 3Y1-24514-00 and verify this for me. I don't want to screw the pooch a second time.

Talk about one furious dude when I opened the box! Been waiting almost two weeks for this and now I have to return it and eat the shipping both ways. That will be almost as much as the part cost (they charged me almost $13 to mail it USPS...)
Fall is almost here and I haven't had a "scoot fix" since April. I'm having terrible withdrawal symptoms.

1981 XS11H

Scribestone Industries:

Last edited by scribestone; 08-15-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Master of XSology

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribestone View Post
Talk about one furious dude when I opened the box! Been waiting almost two weeks for this and now I have to return it and eat the shipping both ways. That will be almost as much as the part cost (they charged me almost $13 to mail it USPS...)
Fall is almost here and I haven't had a "scoot fix" since April. I'm having terrible withdrawal symptoms.
Hi Brian,
you may as well keep the filter as waste the money on return postage. MikesXS usually stocks non-vacuum gas taps re-flanged to fit later XS650s that'll fit your Venturer
but they are out of stock until September.
What you can do to get back on the road right effin' now, or at least, right after you fix the overflow problem is run the gas tap you do have without the filter as your in-line filter will keep the gas clean.
Remember, without the filter tower there ain't no reserve neither.
Rigorous attention to the trip odometer and gas gauge will be your friends here. As will the 1 gallon Jerrycan in your hard luggage.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:52 PM
XS-XJ Guru MODERATOR

Quote:
I've seen these before, but always as a swap on a XS11 tank... So sorry, no help there. But it looks like it's shaped like the Special filter. If the recess for the filter is .387" x .857", then a Special filter will fit.

The joys of POs....

'78E original owner - resto project
'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
'82 XJ rebuild project
'80SG restified, red SOLD
'79F parts...
'81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
'93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
'86 XL883/1200 Chopper
'82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...
Old 08-16-2011, 11:42 AM
XSive

Fred,
That's what I did last year, ran w/out the net filter and used a line filter. Problem came about (I think) because debris got into the petcock diaphragm from the tank and prevented it from closing all the way. I found varnish flakes down iside one of the ports on the petcock. I deduced that may have been my problem. I suppose I can reassemble and test but if that was the problem, I may be back with gas all over my floor again...lol. Well, I suppose worse things have happened. May as well try that. Thanks.

Steve, thanks again for the comments too.

1981 XS11H

Scribestone Industries:
Old 08-16-2011, 11:57 AM
XS-XJ Super Guru(Deceased)

Quote:
Fred,
That's what I did last year, ran w/out the net filter and used a line filter. Problem came about (I think) because debris got into the petcock diaphragm from the tank and prevented it from closing all the way. I found varnish flakes down iside one of the ports on the petcock. I deduced that may have been my problem. I suppose I can reassemble and test but if that was the problem, I may be back with gas all over my floor again...lol. Well, I suppose worse things have happened. May as well try that. Thanks.

Steve, thanks again for the comments too.
If your getting gas all over your floor, then you have more than a petcock problem, as the petcock is just a safety valve for if the carbs needle valve fails, which is what has happened if you get gas on the floor. So you have TWO failures, the petcock, AND the needle valve in one or more of your carbs.

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
Vetter Windjammer IV
Vetter hard bags & Trunk
OEM Luggage Rack
Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
Spade Fuse Box
Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
750 FD Mod
TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
XJ1100 Front Footpegs
XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:56 PM
XSive

yep. Working on that too. Thx

1981 XS11H

Scribestone Industries:
Old 09-04-2011, 04:49 PM
XSive

Well I finally got the beast back together again. I'm beginning to think of the bike as "Skown" aka moron (Avatar lingo)...

Perhaps I'M the skown.

I ran into town and was happy as a clam till I smelled gas. Had a small leak on the left petcock where the nylon/plastic? gasket is sandwiched between the the plates. I figured I must have not tightened it up enough. The leak was a seep and not a gush so I figured it wasn't a major deal at the moment. Later, I pulled up the tank and oops - pulled off the right fuel line. Gas started gushing. (thus the name skow started to develop...) Decided to drain the tank and start over.

Discovered I'd forgotten to put the little spring back in the right petcock. (Started calling myself skown then). Replaced it. No more gush on the right. However the leak on the left persisted despite taking it apart and putting back together carefully (making sure all the srews were tight this time).

I suppose the diaphragm is faulty? Any clues?

So far no puddle of gas on the floor though. Hope SOMETHING got fixed!

1981 XS11H

Scribestone Industries:

Tags
fuel petcock leak, fuel system, petcock, tank