Home arrow Forums

Go Back   XS11.com Forums > Idle Talk Forum > XS11/XJ11 Discussion

Old 11-15-2012, 05:35 PM
XStremely XSive

Idle screw blocked

Working on carbs for a friend. Two of the idle screws seem to be blocked by some sort of brass fitting. Ever see this before? Any alternatives to drilling it out?

Thanks,

Aches n Pains

1977 Ironhead - custom build
Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:00 PM
Master of XSology

If it was me, I would probably start by taking an old small screwdriver and grinding it's tip to a nice sharp chisel point. Then I'd tap that chisel trying to cut thru and collapse the side of the brass collar. Should be able to be done without damaging the aluminum tower.

79F - owned since '89 - FJ fork mod, solo seat mod, Dyna 3Ω's, 14MM M/C (168K miles)
79SF - every day rider, solo seat mod, Brembo 16MM M/C, Accel 3Ω's, Supertrapp (125K miles)

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

30 year XS11 owner

Last edited by bikerphil; 11-15-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Master of XSology

That is the brass plug that is on all the late model carbs from the factory. Drill a hole through it and screw in a wood screw and yank it out.

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
K&N Filter
#45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
OEM Exhaust
ATK Fork Brace
LED Dash lights
Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
SS Brake Lines
Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 11-15-2012, 07:19 PM
XS-XJ Super Guru

The housings that contain the brass plugs are easy to break when you try and pull out the plugs.

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
03 Honda ST1300 ABS
Old 11-15-2012, 07:24 PM
XSive Maximus

DON'T DRILL IT!
Looks to me that the top is already off of the plug as you can see the pilot screw slot.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:27 PM
Master of XSology

The original caps were just a sheet metal insert. Not necessary to have them once things are clean and back together.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Master of XSology

Wink

The original caps were just a sheet metal insert. Not necessary to have them once things are clean and back together. definitely would NOT attempt to drill for sheet metal screw. Base of those are too close to top of idle mix screws!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Master of XSology

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgoerlich View Post
DON'T DRILL IT!
Looks to me that the top is already off of the plug as you can see the pilot screw slot.
+1! Dremal with a teeny plunge router bit will split whats left without damaging the tower or top of screw. Could run that idle mix screw in to lightly seated so it would be somewhat out of harms way.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:50 AM
XStremely XSive

Thanks, guys. Suspect you saved me time and money again.

Doug

1977 Ironhead - custom build
Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:01 AM
Master of XSology

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgoerlich View Post
DON'T DRILL IT!
Hi Richard,
but he gotta drill it. Or remove it some way or another. That remnant of the stupidity plug is stopping the needle from coming out and you gotta take the needle assembly out to clean the carb body passages.
BTW, the rubber slow running jet passage plugs that come in the salvage kit but those carbs don't need coincidentally fit in the needle jet holes to keep the crud out between adjustments.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:16 AM
XS-XJ Guru

I would try to find a tap that would start into the hole, and start screwing it in. Once it had a bite, pull the tap out while turning it, and the sleeve should come right out. A plug tap, rather than a taper tap, would be the first choice. And you might have to grind the tip flat, so as not to interfere with the screw. As was suggested, run the screw all the way in (gently) to give yourself the most space. CZ
Old 11-16-2012, 09:36 AM
XS-XJ Guru

My plugs in the carbs were a solid brass plug nearly an 1/8 thick so I guess there are different types installed. Those appear to have been drilled before. There is a tool called an easy out to remove broken off bolts and screws. If you get a hardened round set I am sure you can bring that plug out. The advantage of an easy out is it is geared to twist the counter clockwise and will reverse anything screwed in. A tap as several have suggested will definately work also but if you get one too big it will thread into the carb and make a mess. Drilling will work but you stand the chance now of drilling into the head of adjustment screw and that will be a problem its just easy to go to far. Chissel cutting will work if its soft but mine were really hard and I am sure they would have slipped down before being cut. Use something like PB Blaster to clean all around it first. Personally I put some Tarnex tarnish cleaner in mine to let it soak a minute it cleans things nice and quick if you just give it a minute. Do not leave Tarnex for a long period it will eat up the alluminum.

Rodan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
1980 G Silverbird
Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
1198 Overbore kit
Grizzly 660 ACCT
Barnett Clutch Springs
R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
122.5 Main Jets
ACCT Mod
Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
Antivibe Bar ends