Home arrow Forums

Go Back   XS11.com Forums > Idle Talk Forum > XS11/XJ11 Discussion

Old 01-31-2016, 06:13 AM
XStremely XSive

Dented Exhaust Header

I have a dent in the bottom bend of #1 exhaust header and am looking for suggestions as to how I could remove it.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

How about this...I was considering filling the bend with water and then letting it pipes sit outside for a while in the below freezing temps and see if the dent would pop out as the water expands when freezing. Thinking about the double wall tubing construction, I would want water in both tubes. How far down the header does the double wall go? I'm thinking I can pour water in the header where it bolts to the motor to fill the inner tube and then remove the bolt in the bottom of the pipe just ahead of the heat shield and add water to fill the outer tube.

You guys think this might work without rupturing the pipe? Or anybody have other proven solutions or reasonable ideas? Thanks much.

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets
Old 01-31-2016, 07:23 AM
Master of XSology

Double wall goes all the way. I think freezing it will split it before it pops the dent. The only thing I can offer is a dent puller, and that's going to destroy the chrome.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:41 AM
XS-XJ Super Guru

Sometimes it's better to leave stuff like that alone. Even if you could pop it out you'd still have a wrinkle there, and you might crack the chrome in the process, or worse. A lot of exhausts have little dents there. Kind of goes with the territory considering it's right behind the front tire, and every now and then the tire is going to bring stuff up off the road. From what I can see that exhaust actually looks like it's in pretty good shape to be as old as it is.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines
Old 01-31-2016, 01:06 PM
XS-XJ Guru MODERATOR

If it were single wall pipe, you could use a fabricated mandrel to remove most of the dent, but with double wall you'll never get it all out. If you're determined to fix it, the best way would be to find a donor exhaust, cut the dented one off the collector, then weld the new one on. This could be done without destroying the chrome if you're careful. Yamaha plated the original parts separately then welded the system together.

'78E original owner - resto project
'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
'82 XJ rebuild project
'80SG restified, red SOLD
'79F parts...
'81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
'93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
'86 XL883/1200 Chopper
'82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...
Old 01-31-2016, 02:47 PM
XS-XJ Guru

Smile SS Mig or Tig - Absolute minimum heat & wire speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyRok View Post
...SNIP....anybody have other proven solutions or reasonable ideas?
Billy,
In my opinion, Marty's suggestion of the dent puller is the best idea. BUT, you need to find someone that can weld using Stainless Steel Wire or TIG PROPERLY. The typical welder, very proficient with a traditional carbon steel stick or MIG weld, is not necessarily familiar with or use to working with SS & Aluminum welds. Some may not even have the proper shielding gases required for other metals.

I'm not sure if you saw the mod made to the Harley muffs on my DUCK at XSSE '15? I was able to cut the very nice chrome mufflers completely apart, remove several inches, and SS weld them back together with SS mig wire (and Tri-Mix Gas Shielding).

There is a TINY bit of discoloration (slight yellowing) of the chrome due to heat on the margin between the SS welds and the chrome. Most people have to be shown the discoloration to see it but it is visible in the photo above.

However, the mufflers I modified were absolutely perfect metal of very high quality (OEM H.D.). They had never been used and didn't have ANY corrosion, dirt, carbon, etc. on them inside or outside. I SUSPECT you could get comparable results if the metal is in REALLY nice condition and has been thoroughly cleaned. Considering where the dent is.... unlikely anyone would see a little discoloration, certainly not as visible as that dent!

I am a "pretty good" welder but I have had a heck of a time just repairing some of my head pipes. But, my best set of head pipes does not look anywhere near as nice & pristine as the one you have there! If those pipes were mine.... I'd drill a couple holes, pull the dent and fill the holes and any remaining indentation with SS wire.

Find a really good welder!

Sincerely,
KURT

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
1980 - XS1100SG - The Duck
1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Café
1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
1986 - FJ1200 - - Georgia Maverick
1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Last edited by kboehringer; 01-31-2016 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Spelling & Etc.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:12 PM
XS-XJ Guru

billy

sorry I'm late to the party. Leave it alone! Won't impact performance at all and unless YOU point it out, no one will notice. Not worth the expense and liability. Leave it and tune the bike, ride it or sell it after.
original owner
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
SPICA
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
IOTA
https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
Frankford, Ont, Canada
613-398-6186