Home arrow Forums



Go Back   XS11.com Forums > Idle Talk Forum > XS11/XJ11 Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-22-2016, 12:02 AM
coolbikr4684 coolbikr4684 is offline
XSive
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Rosamond, CA.
Posts: 33
Rear turn signal mount

Does anyone have a picture of the mount where the turn signals attach, from the front and back? The PO said the person he acquired the bike from started turning into a cafe racer but never finished it. I'm trying to return it more into a stock look. But they cut the mount in half so I'm trying to build a new mount for it. Thank you for the help. I tried searching but couldn't find a close up of it.

__________________
1979 XS1100SF

Last edited by coolbikr4684; 02-22-2016 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Corrected title
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-22-2016, 06:15 AM
TADracer TADracer is offline
XS-XJ Guru
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kenner, Louisiana USA
Posts: 1,414
Sorry I do not have any pics handy but the rear signal mounts in a grommet that fills the opening you have the arrow pointing. There is a lower half to that which has been sawn off and I do not see how you can replace that other than finding an old (damaged) frame and welding on the rear extensions to your frame. The front signals mount in holed that also serve as the headlight pivot. I am sure others will chime in with some pictures.
__________________
Mike Giroir
79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-22-2016, 11:49 AM
crazy steve crazy steve is offline
XS-XJ Guru MODERATOR
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Beautiful outer Yelm, WA
Posts: 7,932
Here's what you need... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36551

Maybe somebody here has a hacked frame that could cut the mounts off of for you...
__________________
Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
'82 XJ rebuild project
'80SG restified, red SOLD
'79F parts...
'81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
'93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
'86 XL883/1200 Chopper
'82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-22-2016, 06:08 PM
TopCatGr58's Avatar
TopCatGr58 TopCatGr58 is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Portsmouth, Va.
Posts: 12,621
Hey there Coolbikr,

Despite that we can see the round relocated turn signal head, and the short megaphone pipe ending before the rear axle, because the PO had done some stuff to it, we can't ASSUME that it's a SPECIAL vs. a Standard, not to mention what year. Your signature doesn't state what it is, and even that part is different between the two styles. I'll have a spare frame section from my special once I start doing my engine/frame swap in a month or two. BUT if it's a standard, then I have a spare frame that can't be titled that I can cut these off of and send to you....IF you have access to welding, then you could use the parts, otherwise, where you've got the signal mounted to now isn't bad as long as if it doesn't get in your leg's way?? The old signals were rubber mounted to reduce the shock to the filaments....as well as possibly allowing them to pop out of their frame slots when dropped on the bike's side without breaking.

T.C.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-22-2016, 06:14 PM
BA80's Avatar
BA80 BA80 is offline
Doctor of XSology
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tulsa, Ok
Posts: 9,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
Hey there Coolbikr,

Despite that we can see the round relocated turn signal head, and the short megaphone pipe ending before the rear axle, because the PO had done some stuff to it, we can't ASSUME that it's a SPECIAL vs. a Standard, not to mention what year. Your signature doesn't state what it is, and even that part is different between the two styles. I'll have a spare frame section from my special once I start doing my engine/frame swap in a month or two. BUT if it's a standard, then I have a spare frame that can't be titled that I can cut these off of and send to you....IF you have access to welding, then you could use the parts, otherwise, where you've got the signal mounted to now isn't bad as long as if it doesn't get in your leg's way?? The old signals were rubber mounted to reduce the shock to the filaments....as well as possibly allowing them to pop out of their frame slots when dropped on the bike's side without breaking.



T.C.
Looks like an SF from what I can see.
__________________
Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-22-2016, 06:18 PM
TopCatGr58's Avatar
TopCatGr58 TopCatGr58 is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Portsmouth, Va.
Posts: 12,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA80 View Post
Looks like an SF from what I can see.
When I register new members, I provide them with the link to the serial numbersvin# comparison thread so they can verify their bikes year/model style, and I urge them to add that info to their profile and signature...his still just says 79XS11 but no special/standard designation.

T.C.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-22-2016, 07:12 PM
BA80's Avatar
BA80 BA80 is offline
Doctor of XSology
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tulsa, Ok
Posts: 9,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
When I register new members, I provide them with the link to the serial numbersvin# comparison thread so they can verify their bikes year/model style, and I urge them to add that info to their profile and signature...his still just says 79XS11 but no special/standard designation.

T.C.
Just going from the exhaust, as you said, and the solid rotor, and the rear tire looks like a 16 in the pic.

And, the special turn signal.
__________________
Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-22-2016, 08:04 PM
nzemke's Avatar
nzemke nzemke is offline
Truly XSive
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Moses Lake, Wash.
Posts: 179
__________________
79F with two parts bikes (78E and a 79F). Ran it for the first season all the way through the summer. more work to do this Spring!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-23-2016, 01:16 AM
coolbikr4684 coolbikr4684 is offline
XSive
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Rosamond, CA.
Posts: 33
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TADracer View Post
Sorry I do not have any pics handy but the rear signal mounts in a grommet that fills the opening you have the arrow pointing. There is a lower half to that which has been sawn off and I do not see how you can replace that other than finding an old (damaged) frame and welding on the rear extensions to your frame. The front signals mount in holed that also serve as the headlight pivot. I am sure others will chime in with some pictures.
Thank you for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy steve View Post
Here's what you need... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36551

Maybe somebody here has a hacked frame that could cut the mounts off of for you...
Thank you for the link exactly what I was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
Hey there Coolbikr,

Despite that we can see the round relocated turn signal head, and the short megaphone pipe ending before the rear axle, because the PO had done some stuff to it, we can't ASSUME that it's a SPECIAL vs. a Standard, not to mention what year. Your signature doesn't state what it is, and even that part is different between the two styles. I'll have a spare frame section from my special once I start doing my engine/frame swap in a month or two. BUT if it's a standard, then I have a spare frame that can't be titled that I can cut these off of and send to you....IF you have access to welding, then you could use the parts, otherwise, where you've got the signal mounted to now isn't bad as long as if it doesn't get in your leg's way?? The old signals were rubber mounted to reduce the shock to the filaments....as well as possibly allowing them to pop out of their frame slots when dropped on the bike's side without breaking.

T.C.
Sorry forgot to update my signature based on the serial number on the frame and engine it's an SF. I do have access to a welder. The lights don't get in the way now but my goal is to get it back to original as possible! minus the electrical at least. If you have that spare frame section let me know how much you'd like for it. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzemke View Post
Thank you for the picture.
__________________________________
Thank you all for your info and replies, greatly appreciated.
__________________
1979 XS1100SF

Last edited by coolbikr4684; 02-23-2016 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Paragraph separation
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-26-2016, 12:44 PM
BardGriffin BardGriffin is offline
XSive
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Denver, Co.
Posts: 15
Somewhat ironically, I'm cutting those mounts off of my xs this week for my café build. You're more than welcome to the parts, it's just a matter of getting them to you.
__________________
79 F Cafe` project
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-26-2016, 09:36 PM
TopCatGr58's Avatar
TopCatGr58 TopCatGr58 is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Portsmouth, Va.
Posts: 12,621
Hey Bard,

I had offered some from my 79 SF frame that I haven't done anything with in 10 years. The bike is titled, was going to fix it for a serviceman, but then he backed out! I know there are some differences in frame design between standards and specials....but I don't know all of them exactly.

Crazy Steve or others, can you confirm if the 79 F and SF's frames are the same in that area, or are they different due to the different fenders and taillight and such???

I don't mind cutting mine off, I wasn't planning on keeping the 79SF stock anyways, it's a severe basket case, no cosmetics to work with, etc., and will probably end up a frankenbike anyways IF/when I ever get around to working on it. I have to do a refresh of my 81SH this year...I promised Brent Hoovestal that I would do that since it's been 16 years since I did my original rebuild on Godzilla.

T.C.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-27-2016, 01:26 PM
crazy steve crazy steve is offline
XS-XJ Guru MODERATOR
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Beautiful outer Yelm, WA
Posts: 7,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
...Crazy Steve or others, can you confirm if the 79 F and SF's frames are the same in that area, or are they different due to the different fenders and taillight and such???
The frame is the same in that area on all the standards AND the SF. The SG and SH are different.
__________________
Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
'82 XJ rebuild project
'80SG restified, red SOLD
'79F parts...
'81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
'93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
'86 XL883/1200 Chopper
'82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-27-2016, 06:39 PM
TopCatGr58's Avatar
TopCatGr58 TopCatGr58 is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Portsmouth, Va.
Posts: 12,621
Thanks Steve,

Well, the other frame I had that wasn't titleable was an 81H, so glad I didn't cut that one up. I went ahead and cut my 79SF and it's already in the mail to CoolBikr. Thanks for the offer Bard, at least we'll know next time.

T.C.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-11-2016, 12:15 PM
BardGriffin BardGriffin is offline
XSive
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Denver, Co.
Posts: 15
No problem! I'll hang on to the parts.
__________________
79 F Cafe` project
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Integrated by BBpixel ©2004-2020, jvbPlugin