XS11.com Forums

XS11.com Forums (http://www.xs11.com/forum/index.php)
-   Members Lounge (http://www.xs11.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Do you Winterize? (http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13174)

TADracer 04-18-2007 08:00 AM

Do you Winterize?

Here in South Louisiana I dont winterize because I manage to ride just about all year but I know it gets pretty chilly up North.

So, how many of you guys winterize your bike? And, what do you do?

cloerts 04-18-2007 08:35 AM

nope

It only freezes or snows a couple weeks out of the year, so i don't winterize anything. I just make sure to start all my engines twice a week and call it good. Of couse I'm not much farther north than you are.

Pat Kelly 04-18-2007 09:11 AM

My fall oil change uses 10-40 Castrol GTX. My spring oil change uses 20-50 Castrol GTX.
Summer I ride my LG with the cafe windshield. Winter I ride the E with the full touring fairing with lowers.
That's the XStent of my winterizing. After all, I'm in California :cool:

planedick 04-18-2007 09:21 AM

Winter? What's that?

In So Cal I ride most every day. How else can I do 18,000 mi/year?

prometheus578 04-18-2007 09:44 AM

Hook the battery to a tender; drain the float bowls. Bike on center stand, block o' wood under the engine to raise the front wheel. That's about it.

81xsproject 04-18-2007 10:54 AM

Only halfway. The weather gives random riding availablity everyonce in a while. So, I just add some fuel stabilizer and keep it on the tender.

TomB 04-18-2007 12:09 PM

Honestly

An old duvet and some dust sheets. My garage is in my house and doesn't go below 50 deg.F

No battery charging, just started straight away after 6 months lay up :D

EZMoney 04-18-2007 09:25 PM

Battery out, oils all out and changed to fresh, fuel stabilizer in, set on center stand, block front wheel off the ground, cover and let stew in cold garage for four or so months or until done.
Uncover, drain and refill bowls to remove any sediment, install battery, start and enjoy:D :D

Ed

fredintoon 04-18-2007 09:47 PM

5 months frozen in Saskatoon.

Bike stays in attached garage over winter.
Oilchange to el cheapo 10W30 automotive oil for the winter. Refill with 20W50 motorcycle oil and renew the filter before the spring startup. Battery stays in but hooked up to autocharger. Drain carbs. Drain gas tank & swish a cupful of engine oil around in it.
Fred Hill, S'toon.

xswilly 04-18-2007 09:52 PM

batt out, gas stabil in
centerstand
ft wheel up
air pressure down in tires
heavy coat of wax all over

spring

oil change first thing
sit from nov to may this year

see the temp thread to see why

Pain 04-19-2007 04:53 PM

I ride all year, but change the oil before the first big cold snap, and again when it warms up, whether it needs it or not.

WD-40 all over the bike too, in the fall, and I don't wash it until spring.

Pain 04-19-2007 04:55 PM

Hmm,. this is was supposed to be in the Winterzie thread.

I guess I shouldnt post at work. :D

midnight1980 04-19-2007 05:08 PM

please dont use pax on it.. it will probley melt the metal of it LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcrvfeVMjZM

fredintoon 04-22-2007 11:56 PM

I hate my neighbor

While I have been carefully nurturing my XS11 in our attached heated garage the kid across the street abandoned his Honda CX500 to the full 6 month long savagery of a Saskatchewan winter at the back of his driveway. No cover, no gas inhibitor, he even left the battery in it. While I have been triple cleaning the XS11 carbs, charging it's battery and replacing it's sparkplugs to get it running I have gained comfort from the thought that the kid is going to regret neglecting his bike like that because it ain't never going to start after such treatment. Today I watched him turn on the gas, turn the key, push the starter button and have the bike fire right up.
There ain't no justice!
Fred Hill, S'toon.

TADracer 04-23-2007 08:25 AM

Re: I hate my neighbor

Quote:

Originally posted by fredintoon
Today I watched him turn on the gas, turn the key, push the starter button and have the bike fire right up.
There ain't no justice!
Fred Hill, S'toon.

Fred, the part you didnt see was him out in the driveway at 2:00 am in the snow triple cleaning his carbs and charging the battery just so he could impress you in the morning. :D