Thread: Valve Shims
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 08:06 PM
XS-XJ Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMarshy View Post
One can only guess exactly how they made them or heat treated them...I think its a mute point but agree with what you described would probably make the most production sense... I still think it would be nice to grinding one in half and check the hardness and compare it to the unground surface... If I had a spare shim and the tools I would do it but wouldnt let it stop me from just doing it if I didnt... I dont see a problem as long as the ground surface is put into the bucket...
That is the way I saw it. And to answer the hardness through and through, look at it this way. The only reason to have them hard at all is to provide the needed difference in hardness between the cam and shim. If we grind the "down" side, it rests against the bucket, so there is no care if it is hard or not, since there is no movement between them. You will still have the hrdened surface against the cam. I have the grinder, but no way to test hardness. If you had a tester, and we could find a patron, we could find out. CZ