View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Master of XSology

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWLindeman View Post
I am unable to get the rail that holds the carbs together off of them to get to all the slides. I'll try the silicone first, then, if that doesn't work, I"ll soak in gasoline (with the diaphragm assembly still apart).

When it comes to the slide needle attached to the diaphragm assembly, how do I remove the slide needle, so that I may replace it (one of them is loose)?

This site has been a wealth of information. 2 days until this bike is whole again. I can't wait to be back on the road, even though it seems a late snow is rearing its ugly head.

I'll be sure to add some pics when I've reassembled the bike. Other than a little oxidation on the chrome, its in impeccable condition.
Use some heat to help remove the screws that hold the carbs onto the rail.

The slide needles should move some. There is a spring sitting on top of the needle to allow some movement. So it is the 3 that do not move that are gummed up and need the attention. There is a C clip down inside the slide tube that needs to be removed and that will allow the needles to be removed.

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
K&N Filter
#45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
OEM Exhaust
ATK Fork Brace
LED Dash lights
Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
SS Brake Lines
Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt