Home arrow Forums



Go Back   XS11.com Forums > Idle Talk Forum > XS11/XJ11 Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #181  
Old 06-09-2012, 12:07 PM
CRXSi90's Avatar
CRXSi90 CRXSi90 is offline
XStremely XSive
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 400
Good luck on your carb sync. What tool are you using for the job? Vacuum gauges, manometer, or ear?

I'm glad you got a chance to do some work on the project. It's nice to reach these milestones. I just came to one myself with one of my other projects. I was replacing one cylinder head on my S10 truck. I started on the project last fall, and for various reasons, it didn't go as quickly as I had hoped. Last weekend, I got it fired up for the first time since I tore it down - what a great feeling! Still some odds and ends to finish up, but it feels great to finally have some substantial progress.

I hope the carb sync goes well. If you haven't already, get a license plate, and then get out there and ride!
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 06-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Nightengale's Avatar
Nightengale Nightengale is offline
XSive Maximus
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hampton, VA.
Posts: 521
riding down my street

i had my son video me takin a short ride down my street this is how it sits now without the carbs being synced. tomorow george (GLoweVA) and his green monster will come over and help me sync the carbs and with a few other loose ends. i will video the result when we are done.



Last edited by Nightengale; 06-09-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 06-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Nightengale's Avatar
Nightengale Nightengale is offline
XSive Maximus
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hampton, VA.
Posts: 521
mirror

i got my new mirror installed, i went with something that didn't take away from the bike and kept with the streamlined minimal look this is what i got





the pics didn't turn out to good since i took them tonight, i will take some more pics tomorrow
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 06-10-2012, 04:33 PM
Nightengale's Avatar
Nightengale Nightengale is offline
XSive Maximus
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hampton, VA.
Posts: 521
no luck

No luck on working on the bike today, woke up in the middle of the night thought I was gonna die it was another damn kidney stone. thats two in the past year. no fun at all.
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 06-11-2012, 07:33 PM
CRXSi90's Avatar
CRXSi90 CRXSi90 is offline
XStremely XSive
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 400
Ouch, that's no good. Did you have it removed? I hope it doesn't slow you down.
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 06-11-2012, 09:18 PM
GLoweVA's Avatar
GLoweVA GLoweVA is offline
XS-XJ Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Virginia Beach, VA.
Posts: 1,942
I was going to stop by on Sunday to give him a hand syncing his carbs. He ended up passing the stone Sunday. I'm planning on going by Thursday after work to sync then.
Maybe with some luck, all 4 of us local xsives might get a little group ride this weekend.
It sure is nice having others in the area that know and love these machines.
__________________
Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
The Green Monster
K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
Got him in '04.
bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
Scarlet
K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
Got her in '11
Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
Hugo
Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
Cold weather ride
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 06-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Nightengale's Avatar
Nightengale Nightengale is offline
XSive Maximus
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hampton, VA.
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLoweVA View Post
I was going to stop by on Sunday to give him a hand syncing his carbs. He ended up passing the stone Sunday. I'm planning on going by Thursday after work to sync then.
Maybe with some luck, all 4 of us local xsives might get a little group ride this weekend.
It sure is nice having others in the area that know and love these machines.
me too, this is an awsome community of people who have alot of love for these bikes.
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 06-18-2012, 06:23 AM
anarchy18's Avatar
anarchy18 anarchy18 is offline
Truly XSive
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 134
dang dude i love it!!! I see this thread has been going for awhile but i hadda comment cause I like the so called Bar Hopper look you got in your first post alot!!! How was that seat put on there? I'm trying to go solo seat also. Can you take some more pics? Those are the original forks really?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
these are pics of my 80 xs 1100 standard budget bobber project. i am doing all fab work myself in a little 8x10 shed. almost all of my parts i have gotten on ebay. So far I have about $500.00 invested, including the cost of the bike.


homemade tail light/ plate holder, cost me 25 bucks to make

my new carbs

I am looking for feed back either good or bad just want to get some opoinions, since this is my first project. I still have alot of work to do but i am happy with the progress so far. thanks for checking this out, and i look forward to hearing what everyone has to say.
__________________
'81 Yamama XS1100 5K7 German Model

What's the difference between erotic and kinky?
Erotic = using a feather
Kinky = using the whole chicken
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 06-19-2012, 08:29 PM
Nightengale's Avatar
Nightengale Nightengale is offline
XSive Maximus
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hampton, VA.
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchy18 View Post
dang dude i love it!!! I see this thread has been going for awhile but i hadda comment cause I like the so called Bar Hopper look you got in your first post alot!!! How was that seat put on there? I'm trying to go solo seat also. Can you take some more pics? Those are the original forks really?????
i had to make a pivot point for the front of the seat, and used a standard chopper solo seat mounting bracket that bolted to the bottom of the seat, then attached to my pivot point so it could move up and down with the springs on the back of the seat. to get a solo seat to mount on one of these bikes takes a little work, just depends on the look you are going for. other people on here have put on solo seats that were not as extreme as mine with good results, and still not having to cut the frame up like i did. and yes they are the original forks on my bike, is no rake on them all original. the only thing i did to the forks was to flip the head light brackets to fit a smaller headlight, and do away with the stock gauges and key switch. to make one of these bikes into a bobber takes a while and alot of work, since there are not alot of parts that are made for the bobber look that will just bolt on, it has taken me about a year to get mine to where it is now, and i am still not finished. i just got the oil changed today and the bike is running great. i still need to finish the painting and get here all cleaned up. i am going to paint the engine flat black with all stainless bolts, add stainless brake lines, and make custom foot pegs. and a few more things that i just cant think of right now, but those things i can do a little here and a little there, right now i just want to ride, i have been looking at this bike for about a year now wanting to ride it, and now i can. it is a really great feeling to just be out there riding.
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 06-20-2012, 05:57 AM
anarchy18's Avatar
anarchy18 anarchy18 is offline
Truly XSive
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 134
heck ya thats what its all about!!!!!! you wanna go more black? Well heres my Blacky XS1100S pitbull!!! rattle can blacked it like crazy
__________________
'81 Yamama XS1100 5K7 German Model

What's the difference between erotic and kinky?
Erotic = using a feather
Kinky = using the whole chicken
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old 06-20-2012, 05:30 PM
blkryno blkryno is offline
Truly XSive
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 154
Wink really building your bike

Ya know there is something to be said for really building your own bike. I mean back in the day ( I guess that's a lot of days ago) there weren't any bolt on parts for the early guys they had to fabricate everything. Whether they were going for a chopper, a bobber. or cafe racer. That's how a lot of innovation came along. Now store bought bolt on parts are nice. They're nice and machined and chromed and easier to do and I like most of it. But, that is why that whole after market industry exists. I have 79 1100 SF that I haven't done anything with yet. I keep going back and forth with keeping it intact cause everything but the original exhaust is there or bobbing it out. I just don't want to do anything that I can't reverse. I am thinking I should get a frame that has been stripped out. Anyway I like what you have done in your 8x10 shed.

blkryno

81 11 SH (83 Venture cct, Tkat fork brace on )
79 11 SF (83 Venture cct on the shelf for it.)

Semper Fi

Loud Pipes
Draw Cops
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 06-20-2012, 09:27 PM
Nightengale's Avatar
Nightengale Nightengale is offline
XSive Maximus
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hampton, VA.
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkryno View Post
Ya know there is something to be said for really building your own bike. I mean back in the day ( I guess that's a lot of days ago) there weren't any bolt on parts for the early guys they had to fabricate everything. Whether they were going for a chopper, a bobber. or cafe racer. That's how a lot of innovation came along. Now store bought bolt on parts are nice. They're nice and machined and chromed and easier to do and I like most of it. But, that is why that whole after market industry exists. I have 79 1100 SF that I haven't done anything with yet. I keep going back and forth with keeping it intact cause everything but the original exhaust is there or bobbing it out. I just don't want to do anything that I can't reverse. I am thinking I should get a frame that has been stripped out. Anyway I like what you have done in your 8x10 shed.

blkryno

81 11 SH (83 Venture cct, Tkat fork brace on )
79 11 SF (83 Venture cct on the shelf for it.)

Semper Fi

Loud Pipes
Draw Cops
thanks for the comments. the best thing about doing this build was the fact that there wasnt alot of aftermarket parts so i had to make my own, and thus making the bike the way i wanted to and making it one of a kind. i dont like being like everyone else. sure i could have got a harley and bought a ton of bolt on parts, but where is the fun in that. i knew little about building bikes before i started this build, and had to learn alot along the way. i have some words of advice for any one that wants to customize there bike make it your own. do what you want with it, sure not everyone will like it but there is only one that has to like it and thats you. take your time and do it right. I spent alot of time doing reasurch on how i wanted it to look and how i could go about it. just dont give up.
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 06-20-2012, 09:51 PM
Nightengale's Avatar
Nightengale Nightengale is offline
XSive Maximus
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hampton, VA.
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchy18 View Post
heck ya thats what its all about!!!!!! you wanna go more black? Well heres my Blacky XS1100S pitbull!!! rattle can blacked it like crazy
i like it!!!
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 06-21-2012, 01:22 AM
anarchy18's Avatar
anarchy18 anarchy18 is offline
Truly XSive
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 134
this is just the mean fat stocky low down pitbull just for short trips around town. i want one like yours too for longer trips and the autobahn!!! what are your grips called I didnt see em on German Ebay but they look sharp LITERALLY
__________________
'81 Yamama XS1100 5K7 German Model

What's the difference between erotic and kinky?
Erotic = using a feather
Kinky = using the whole chicken
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 06-21-2012, 04:48 AM
Nightengale's Avatar
Nightengale Nightengale is offline
XSive Maximus
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hampton, VA.
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchy18 View Post
this is just the mean fat stocky low down pitbull just for short trips around town. i want one like yours too for longer trips and the autobahn!!! what are your grips called I didnt see em on German Ebay but they look sharp LITERALLY
The handgrips were just called spiked hand grips for 7/8th inch handlebars, got them off ebay here, but tthey were from china. And yes they are very sharp, cut myself a few ttimes on them
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bobber, hardtail, parts for sale, project

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Integrated by BBpixel ©2004-2022, jvbPlugin